Student Athlete Profile: Miguel Castillo ’19

Drake Berg

Coach Brown says of Miguel Castillo ’19, Coach Brown says of Miguel, “… he exemplifies a positive attitude and gives effort at every opportunity, to the highest degree. I admire Miguel’s ability to empathize with others. He is a very caring individual that sees more in people than what they see in themselves. That is a characteristic only found in the best of leaders, and is deserving of recognition.”

Sterling Winnegrad, Reporter

Hello everybody, this is Sterling Winnegrad for Eagle Valley Student Media. This semester, I wanted to profile student athletes who go unnoticed in the public but make big contributions to their team. I talked to Coach Drake Brown, the coach of the Eagle Valley Devils Football team, and he suggested I reach out to Miguel Castillo ‘19.

Coach Brown says of Miguel, “… he exemplifies a positive attitude and gives effort at every opportunity, to the highest degree. I admire Miguel’s ability to empathize with others. He is a very caring individual that sees more in people than what they see in themselves. That is a characteristic only found in the best of leaders, and is deserving of recognition. Miguel is just a very special kid to me and I look forward to watching him grow for years to come..”

To learn more about Eagle Valley Devils Football player Miguel Castillo ‘19, read our conversation below.

Sterling Winnegrad (SW): What sport do you play, which level, and what position?

Miguel Castillo (MC): I’m currently playing football, I play varsity, and I play wide receiver and cornerback.

SW: When did you start playing this sport?

Kaikea Cavaliero
Castillo ready near the end zone during the game against Rifle.

MC: I started playing football in 8th grade.

SW:  What do you like about this sport?

MC:  What I like about football is that it is really competitive, and I get to spend time with friends and we come together as one to go against other teams.

SW: What are your goals for the rest of your career in this sport?

MC: I plan to continue playing football at the college level, and when I’m a lot older I want to coach as a side job because it’s something I really like to do.

SW: How are you playing this season?

MC: I don’t think I am doing too bad individually because I feel like after every game and every practice my knowledge and skills for football grow.

Drake Berg
The football team gathers for instructions during practice.

SW: What has been your personal highlight of playing this the season?

MC:  My personal highlight would be when it was 3rd and long, and I caught a pass that led our team to get in the red zone.

SW: What do you hope to improve on this season?

MC:  I plan to not drop a single catchable  ball in a game and to shut down any receiver from any team.

Drake Berg
Castillo jumps to catch the ball during practice.

SW: What’s your favorite part about being on this team?

MC: My favorite thing about this season is learning how to power through a tough schedule no matter what our record is and to have the opportunity to play Varsity and become a team captain.

SW: Can you share your favorite memory from being on the team this season:

MC: When Jaden Hermosillo ’18 dislocated his finger after coming back from concussion protocol.

Drake Berg
During practice, Castillo checks in with Coach Ralph Carlson for feedback.

SW: How would your teammates describe you in three words?

MC:  Funny, quick, and hard working

SW: Please describe your relationship with your teammates:

MC: I treat every one of my teammates as if they were my brothers because we are  close and we help each other get better.

SW: What do you think your role is on this team?

MC:  I am viewed as a leader because I was chosen as one of the the team captains.

Drake Berg
Castillo practices with teammates.

SW: How do you show your dedication to the team?

MC: By showing dedication for this team, I try to bring as much positivity as possible, and I try to help out the lower classmen get better individually.

SW: What’s one lesson you learned from this season or on the team that you’ll apply elsewhere in life?

MC: One thing that I really learned is to not give up no matter what the record is and to always try your best even when things aren’t turning out right.

Drake Berg
Castillo laughs with teammates during the huddle at the end of practice.

SW: What are your future goals in life?

MC: My future goals are to play college football and to become the first person in my family from both sides to go to college and set a great example to my younger cousins.