Ending my school year in a pandemic

David Carrillo, Columnist

My life hasn’t been greatly affected by this pandemic, But I do notice some subtle changes like how much less time I take speaking and interacting with other people. I guess I’m just not a social butterfly and more elusive if anything. Other than that, I’ve been very inspired to draw and play music more, and I’ve been skating when I can. 

I know I should’ve been doing my school work during this time, but I’ve been having too much fun doing stuff like drawing weird things, and I haven’t noticed how much I was into certain things because I love learning, so I have been researching more into politics and more philosophical topics. I think that I have definitely had some setbacks due to my lack of diligence to do my school work and get in on time, and emotionally I’m just lonelier than I thought I would be. I have spent a lot of time re thinking my own self values and how important people are to me.

But now, during this pandemic it forces a student to really take control of their own learning, and I’ve obviously fallen really behind in all my classes.

— David Carrillo

This time in quarantine feels very bitter sweet. I wish we had more time in class because there I would at least do some work, and I would do the minimum required, and it was an easy pass most of the time. But now, during this pandemic it forces a student to really take control of their own learning, and I’ve obviously fallen really behind in all my classes.

Now I know that when or if we do go back to class, I should take full advantage of that time, but I still want to have fun. This pandemic has changed a lot of things, but not my late record. But I have been pretty good other than those few setbacks, and now I’m doing more things like creating my own song and drawing some new styles and learning more about myself. 

Although we as students friends and teachers and just normal people have been isolated, we don’t cease to amaze each other with memes, DIYs, art, music, etc… I think that if we continue to take care of each other by following the few rules set out for us, we will be able to say, “I survived 2020.” COVID 19 jokes aside, I know that we will all persevere and that we will make it through this pandemic. 

I’m very sad to see the fallen and the number of those affected and am very sorry for those now passed. I hope their families are doing well. I know that not a lot of people are going hear these ramblings of a sixteen year old, but that’s just something I felt that had to be said. 

I also want to thank all my teachers for being super supportive, even though I’m not always doing the work assigned, I appreciate most of my teachers not wanting me in their class again for the second time for the same class. I want all my teachers to know how much I appreciate them, and I hope that you’re all doing okay.