The student news site of Eagle Valley High School

Veterans Day 2020

Eagle County celebrates Veterans Day virtually with VFW Post 10721 Minturn

There have been many changes in daily life since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, but people have adjusted and continue to make adjustments. Perhaps no one was better suited to adapt to the demands of a complex and changing environment than the veterans of the Armed Forces of the United States

In a typical year, VFW Post 10721 Minturn sends its veterans into local schools to speak with students of all ages about their experiences and the significance of Veterans Day. This year, they come to classrooms again, but in a different way. Through video.

Over the last three weeks veterans have come to Eagle Valley High School on the asynchronous day of the week to be interviewed by student journalists. The interviews were recorded on camera and will be sent to be archived in the Library of Congress’s Veterans History Project. Each interview, which lasted 30 minutes or longer, was also edited into a 4-7 minute profile highlighting the veteran’s experiences, observations, and takeaways to share with students and community members for Veterans Day. Additional footage was used to create a longer segment including each of the veterans that reflects on the impact of their experiences and the significance of Veterans Day.

Veterans Day is the day to recognize and thank those who served for protecting our country, but every day we live in peace, every day we live the democratic principles that our nation was founded on is because of our veterans.

Carolyn Schneider
Pete Thompson
Claire Noble
Bill Welch
Pat Hammon
Ron Amass
Laura Johnson
Kenton Krohlow
Heather Parker
Dan Smith
Garrett Fonda
John Krueger
Dave Schneider
Butch Mazzuca
Sid Spain

Comments (0)

All Eagle Valley Student Media Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *