Eagle Valley Student Media Publication Portfolio

Carter Josef and Editor-in-Chief

Eagle Valley Student Media had a significant number of reporters graduate last year, and we found it hard to recruit new students to the staff in our hybrid learning model. Despite the limitations of a small staff of five, we’ve been working hard to tell the stories of our community and address the issues impacting students. In our portfolio, we’ve included reporting on our school closure prior to Thanksgiving to give community members insight on what was happening and why. Our clarifying reporting has responded to polarizing issues in our community. In one example, we wrote an editorial responding to the criticism of our principal and school’s move to remote learning for two days prior to Thanksgiving to address the biases stemming that criticism. In another example, prior to the events at the US Capitol prior to the inauguration, our reporters addressed various biases and preconceptions about discussing political events in school. And our entertainment pieces have sought to promote active and vibrant lifestyles during the pandemic while also maintaining social distance. In one sample, we review masks for sports, so students have insight on how to engage in their sports with masks comfortably. And another provided socially distant resources for celebrating Halloween.

Investigative: issues in school or community

EVHS transitions to remote learning leading up to Thanksgiving Break

Clarifying: combatting bias with facts, whether toward people or topics

Editorial: Staying Home Keeps Us Safe

Discussing Current Events in the Classroom

Entertaining: novelty, humor, culture, arts, etc.

Safe Ways to Have a Spooktacular Halloween in Eagle County

Maskletics: A Review of Masks for Sports